I made a Facebook post on the eve of my birthday last week with my top 32 things I've learned. I was surprised by the amount of messages I was sent, telling me how they all thought it would make a good Ravishing Rambling and I should come up with more to add to the list. Well, it took me hours but I took their advice and I did it. Here is my 101 life lessons learned. I love topic suggestions by the way! So if you have any please send them to me on the contact page of this site and I might write about your idea next time!
My 101 Life Lessons Learned
1. A lady never tells her age. And when you do always tell them older so they say how young you look
2. Grandparents are ALWAYS right.
3. Being kind makes your heart super happy. TRY IT!
4. You can be mad but you cannot be mean.
5. If you can't be good, be careful.
6. Racism and bullying is something we need to work more on as a society- it's nasty and gross and I can't stand it anymore.
7. Cuss words are a necessity- some situations there are no other words for.
8. I'm a lot to handle and I'm totally ok with that. Take up space people! But with that being said you must always respect other peoples personal space.
9. Getting out of the house is overrated if you have an amazon prime account.
10. My kids are truly my best friends and I don't know how I lived life with out them for so long.
11. The saying "you can't choose your family" is wrong. They must not have best friends.
12. Owning your own business is so hard! But BEING A MOM IS WAY HARDER
13. Makeup isn't a necessity but it makes me happy.
14. Wash your face and brush your teeth every night.
15. Find a good face cream- make it a ritual because aging is a choice.
16. Never go to bed in dirty clothes or reuse a towel.
17. Fabric softener and dryer sheets are required. So is a high end detergent.
18. I respond in my head a lot and need to work on that.
19. It's better to be overdressed for an event than underdressed.
20. Own your mistakes.
21. Never apologize for speaking your mind.
22. Bless your heart is NOT a term of endearment.
23. Always keep a get away bag packed in case you have to go Angelina Jolie on someone sometime and disappear like a spy.
24. Look someone in the eye while speaking to them.
25. Be proud of who you are and OWN it.
26. Never take someone else's idea. Ever.
27. Believe in something and stand up for it .
28. When you introduce your self for the first time always use your first & last name. It leaves an impression.
29. When speaking to a child get on their level, if you can, and make eye contact.
30. The true meaning of pretty isn't what you look like...it's about how you treat people.
31. Brownie batter makes everything better.
32. Wine tastes better from a wine glass.
33. When ordering from a restaurant and you can't make a decision, remember, you can get both.
34. Cake for breakfast is always acceptable on your birthday.
35. You can never have to many favorite things. This especially goes for songs and movies.
36. Use the wipes the store provided to clean the shopping cart. Those things are nasty. Germs and Jesus are everywhere.
37. Always call before popping in on someone. It's rude to show up at someone's house unannounced.
38. When someone asks you how you are? Be honest. If you are tired, say it.
39. When someone tells you how they really feel, after asking them how they are, believe them. Don't look baffled that they didn't respond how you expected them to.
40. Always look for two ways out of ANY situation after first entering into it. Be that situation a restaurant or a relationship. Just in case.
41. Tell them the truth and they will never believe you.
42. You don't need anyone for anything ever. If they can do it, so can you!
43. If your heart or gut tells you something, listen to it the first time.
44. When making a decision that you can't decide on. Think of the choice you have to make. Whatever pops in your head first-do it. If it's an after thought, it's not the right choice.
45. Apologies are always acceptable if they are genuine. But never say "I'm sorry" if you don't mean it.
46. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try to make someone like you. They just won't. That's ok.
47. All coffee tastes like coffee. There, I said it!
48. Having kids really does change you.
49. Learn how to do minor car maintenance. Change your flat, check your oil, replace the headlight. See #42 for reference.
50. No true Queen throughout history ever needed a King. Look it up.
51. Learning about the past only helps us build our futures. There is a reason we have memories.
52. When a kid tells you that the pen they are holding is a magic wand. It's a freaking magic wand. Go with it.
53. Bravery isn't putting your life in jeopardy to save someone else. That's a hero. Being brave is just being you. This world is scary.
54. Learn how to make authentic tacos. Not the mix some seasoning in with the meat kind.
55. When you loose your cool with your children. Say you're sorry and explain you're human. When your kid looses his cool with you, remember they are a human too. This one took me a while to learn.
56. The claw machine game has no age limits.
57. Your car can me messy but your house cannot be.
58. Make something for a pot luck instead of buying it. Or buy something and pretend you made it. Either way take a dish to the gathering. It's rude if you don't.
59. Always have a backup pair of shoes.
60. Wash your hands
61. Kiss your grandparents before you leave them. They earned it.
62. Credit card dept is impossible to pay off.
63. If you make a promise keep it.
64. If you call into work, have a legit excuse.
65. The people you work with are your "work family". Treat them as such.
66. All kids pick their nose.
67. Yard work is the Bain of any homeowners existence.
68. Change is an acceptable form of currency. Don't let anyone tell you different. Pay in pennies if you must.
69. Speaking of currency...it spends the same, even if it's not all facing the right direction.
70. Toilet paper has no right or wrong way of being installed on the roller as long as it's installed. Don't make me have to look for the tp.
71. Fresh picked apples are better than store bought.
72. Pineapple does not belong on pizza
73. Animals are a life form. Respect them, love them, save them and treat them as you want to be treated.
74. Reality tv stars should never be president.
75. If someone is excited about an idea they are telling you about, be excited with them and for them. Don't put out the flame before it has the chance to burn.
76. A robe and slippers are a necessity after age 29 or after having kids which ever comes first.
77. A true cowboys or farmers boots are always dirty. Unless their at Church.
78. Everyone is good at something. Find your thing and make it perfect.
79. Everything goes on sale eventually. Everything.
80. Small businesses are what drive a community. Support them, shop small and be engaged in where you live. Pride in the community you live in does your spirit good, I promise.
81. Pull over for a funeral procession and pay your respects.
82. Change your sheets and wash your blankets on the regular.
83. Pizza rolls are acceptable at any age. So are Capri suns.
84. Discrimination is a real thing. I've seen it with my own eyes.
85. The Native American people are just that. Native! That means; "being in the place or environment in which a person was born or a thing came into being: one's native land. belonging to a person by birth or to a thing by nature." Point blank....they were here first.
86. If you can't say it to someone's face DO NOT type it out on social media.
87. If someone tells you that you're being rude, you probably are.
88. "No offense" is used only when the person is about to offend you.
89. TIP! Tip your server, tip your stylist, tip your barber, tip your bartender and do it well. They will take care of you for life because you are invested in theirs.
90. Do not expect children to do grown up things.
91. Somewhere there is someone who looks just like you. Where are ya doppelgänger of mine?
92. Somewhere there is someone who wants to be you.
93. Kindness is contagious, so is hate.
94. Your check engine light was put there for a reason and auto zone runs free scans so you have no excuse to not have it checked.
95. There are 4 versions of you. The one you remember from the past, the one everyone else remembers, the one everyone else sees and the person you are in your head right now.
96. Chinese food has the fastest delivery times ever. Pizza is the slowest.
97. Sweet tea makes your soul happy. Hot tea soothes it.
98. Lunch dates with friends are the best kind of dates.
99. I've had more fun watching Netflix, drinking wine, eating pizza alone than I ever did at the bar out with all my friends getting wasted.
100. Criminal minds is based on true events. Let that sink in.
101. Sometimes you just need your momma.
By: Kalyn Weller Goode, Owner & Master Stylist at Scissors & Shears Salon LLC, located in Excelsior Springs, MO.